Tuesday, October 16, 2012

BAND OF THE MONTH: WOODLOCK ♡


PLEASE EXCUSE MY LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM IN THIS POST BUT I SERIOUSLY CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT! Woodlock was the first band I saw busking in Pitt St. and they're also my favorite. Their sound is a mix between Jack Johnson, Bon Iver, Native Roses (Synergy's band of the month for July), and Ed Sheeran - aka four of my favorite musicians. Put them together and you get Woodlock. I'm pretty convinced these boys were sent from Heaven; their harps replaced by guitars and whatnot. I'm also sure they can play anything. I mean, they're the only band I know that uses an ocarina.

Zech Walters
I remember the fight or flight feeling I got as I approached Eze to ask if we could feature them here. I was beyond nervous when I asked for their contact number (purely professional, mind you), but I'm thankful my awkwardness did not get in the way of things.

Like Everything After and JackManFriday, I had purchased Woodlock's EP and had them sign it. I was itching to listen to their songs as soon as they handed it to me. I can tell you one thing - they did not disappoint. Every single song was fantastic. My personal favorites are Heartbreak Kid, Lemons, and Stow Away (although it's not in their EP, I heard them play it live). You can listen to them below.



 
I also did a bit of snooping around YouTube and found more of their original songs and covers. You have to listen to them. I know it's a lot, but it's worth it! You can read their answers while listening. :)


1. Tell us about your band.
We are just a group of friends who enjoy playing music, We wanted to travel and see whats out there and this is how we support ourselves. 

2. How did you start?
We started busking to raise for an orphanage that our church funds. We then went to Africa and played together there as part of a missions trip. About half a year after that we were all talking about a roadtrip, wondering how we were going to make our money we thought "Busk!" and thats how we started.

3. How did you come up with the name?
We were called "Woodlock Winds" after a song we wrote long before we were a band, but we couldn't help but relate the name to "flatulence in a forest" so we just shortened it to Woodlock.

4. How would you describe your sound?
Somewhere between indie, pop and acoustic alternative.



5. Who is/are your musical inspiration/s?

We all bring in our own inspirations, but major ones are Coldplay, Georgia Fair, John Mayer, The Beatles & The Paper Kites, just to name a few.

6. Why did you choose to go into the music industry?
We didn't really choose, we started off doing this just to support us having fun, and we enjoy it so much its hard not to give it a go, I guess you could say its our dream job.



7. What makes you different from all the other musicians?
Zech and Eze Are brothers they've been singing together their Whole lives and it shows when they sing together, I don't think its different but it does create something special.

8. Tips for aspiring musicians?
Give it everything.



9. Name at least one musician you'd like to work with in the future. 
Chris Martin, Bon Iver or Kanye West.


And that's it! :) If you liked Woodlock, please support them by liking their page, subscribing to them on YouTube, following them on Twitter, and sharing them to your friends. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...